Academics and Programs
Children in the Primary Academy are beginning to read and write, to acquire significant information, to understand and know more about their world, and to emerge as active learners and eager explorers. In the Elementary Academy, students develop powerful new learning tools and techniques, and they put challenging new concepts to the test in more formal ways than were possible when they were younger. In the Junior Academy, students practice the skills and apply concepts from earlier grades as they work in hands-on collaborative situations all while balancing the social aspects of the preteen years in school.
The Academic Program at the Business and Economics Academy of Milwaukee is centered around the following school design elements:
- Reading: 90 minutes daily
- Writing-Language Arts: 30-60 minutes daily
- Mathematics: 60 minutes daily
- Science: 45 minutes daily
- Social Studies: 45 minutes daily
- Business & Economics: 30-45 minutes three times per week
- Fine Arts: 45 minutes every other day
- Physical Education: 45 minutes every other day
- Media Technology: 45 minutes once a week
After school programs and activities include the Millionaires Club and a student-run school business, as well as a Book Club, Pearls for Girls, Basketball, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Volleyball, and Karate.
With support from the Helen Bader Foundation, BEAM has conducted a comprehensive after-school program where students took special Saturday classes and eventually took guided trips to places like Washington, D.C. and New York City.